A Different Perspective
Opening: April 28 5:30 pm
Viewing: April 28 until May 8
The relationship between people and animals is one that has always intrigued me.
When I was 5, I discovered a contradiction which I found confusing.
- On one hand we keep pets and view some animal species as beings to be loved and respected.
- On the other hand we make choices which deprive animals of natural habitats, of the ability to express natural behaviours and of the right to live.
Most people care about animals, yet choices made daily in sport, entertainment, fashion, agriculture and science exploit animals and cause them pain and suffering.
‘A Different Perspective’ considers our relationships with animals.
- Several paintings simply admire the beauty found in nature and the intricacies within.
- Some consider how the impact of our decisions, including the introduction of predators and removal of natural habitats, is causing some species to decline.
- Others consider the relationships animals have with each other, to evoke thought and compassion for those we share this planet with, yet control through the power of our choices.
‘Animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.’ Irene M. Pepperberg